i am proud to announce that i am independently releasing my first ever solo album as a unique collection of music - media + mementos on this ebay auction.
limited edition: 1 of 1
this one-of-a-kind deluxe box set will serve as a time capsule. it's more than just music. it's an experience. this is the last time this music will be available for nearly five years--until june 13, 2013. the winner of the auction will be the only person in the world with access to this material until 2013.
about four months ago, i found myself falling to the earth. i held out my hand to break my fall. mistake. it hurt like hell.
after two series of x-rays and mri scans, the doctors determined that i had torn a ligament in my right wrist. i ended up in a cast with very little use of my right hand.
just days earlier, i was feeling a burst of creative energy. i recorded the song "i will" and made a conscious decision to record more music. the next thing i know, i've got one hand tied behind my back.
i didn't let the injury stop me from recording and exploring sound. i just used my left hand. i experimented with a variety of digital and analog synthesizers and circuit bent toys: the arp 2600, moog minimoog, korg ms-20, analogue solutions vostok, bleep labs thingamagoop, musini, freakenspeak speak and spell, lucky bear, access virus ti, nord lead 2... this was truly experimental music for me as i was either touching these instruments for the very first time or delving deeper into aspects of synths i knew really well.
the music + noise that came out of these solo sessions reflected the pain i had. it was the first time i had ever experienced a constant physical pain for so long. for over three months, it felt like i had an everlasting fireball burning in my wrist. i took vicodin once but didn't like how it slowed me down, so i just dealt with it. pain and noise mix.
inspired by recent limited edition music box sets by soisong - coil - nine inch nails + ruby throat, i have put together a one-of-a-kind collection of music and memorabilia over the past four months. it's called one hand tied behind my back. i am selling the one and only copy via this ebay auction.
here's what you get:
one audio cd - one hand tied behind my back
one extras dvd containing:
• the album (320k mp3 + higher resolution stereo wav mixes up to 24/96k)
• various photos + video
• multitrack music files (up to 24 bit/96 kHz) for remixing in logic/ableton live/garageband
• exclusive songs + recordings (including the sound of the saw cutting off my cast)
• outtake video from my upcoming "wake up dreams" short film
• one personalized recorded audio message to the winner
seven 8x10" photos
the ace bandage i wore for over six weeks
the cast i wore for over eight weeks (with mustard stain)
the plastic bag i wore over it in the shower
one sun-damaged x-ray
one mri scan
two prescription pill bottles (no drugs included)
one thumbnail clipping after 8 weeks in the cast
one piece of skin peeled off my palm after the cast was removed
one first aid cross sticker
one pair of medical scissors
one custom "tj pfu" guitar pick
one personalized hand-written message to the winner
one authentic cold war-era russian ammo box to hold it all
music - sound + noise = tj milian
visuals = tj milian - essylt jarrot + mark milian
a strange collection for a strange period of my life. i don't feel entirely comfortable putting this out there, but i'm anxious to put this chapter behind me and move on.
for a few more days, you can hear raw early versions of many of the tracks here at my website: blog.califaudio.com.
immediately following the end of the completed ebay auction, i will remove all the songs and sound files recorded during february, march, april and may of this year from my website. this includes 15 songs on the album except for "i will" which was recorded in january before my injury. i will not make the 15 tracks available again until thursday, june 13, 2013. listen to them now while you can!
one hand tied behind my back
- i will
- slow freak
- lucky bear
- freakenspeak alphabet
- april fools day
- premier vostok
- vice vostok
- glitch talk 1
- first flight
- there is a sound
- saw it off!
i will start the ebay auction at only $1.13 + $13 shipping worldwide.
i want to make this really special. there are three bonus levels depending on the final auction price. the winner of the auction will receive up to three extra special bonus gifts:
1. if the auction winner pays at least $13 (before shipping), i will produce + ship (for free) a custom "one hand tied behind my back" t-shirt within 13 days. simply tell me your shirt size.
2. if the auction winner pays at least $113, i will record and send three hours of previously unreleased and/or exclusive music and recordings over the next five years. you can choose between physical or digital media. it will be spread out over time. simply keep me informed of your current mailing address or email address.
3. if the auction winner pays at least $313, i will play a private concert for the winner on june 13, 2013. you pick the location. anywhere in the world: your home, a music venue, out in the wilderness. it's up to you. the rules: you must be there. you must secure the location legally. no trespassing. you may invite whomever you want. i will invite whomever i want. you may sell tickets. you must provide adequate power, lighting and sound system. it will be a joint effort. i am taking a big risk here. be cool.
i have been planning my music for over 13 years. this is my first solo album and the 13th part of a much larger work of art to be revealed over time. there is much more to come. i had intended to unveil this five years from now, but i can't wait to share it with you.
check back every day on califaudio.com until the end of the auction for more details regarding this personal experimental music project.
the auction ends on monday, june 23, at 6:13 pm pacific time. good luck!
please spread the word in any way you can. this means a lot to me. i appreciate your support!
june 13, 2008
update 6/23/08: sold. please check back on june 13, 2013.